1. Benedict is really good with impersonation of especially Alan Rickman. He even voiced Rickman (as Snape) for a special Valentine’s Day episode of The Simpsons in February 2013. He even does impressions of Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson, Owen Wilson and Chewbacca.
2. Back in the day (2003) was on a programme called 40 Something, with House star Hugh Laurie.
3. He’s been on Heartbeat, twice.
4. He says it would be great to play a “normal guy” in a “normal comedy”.
5. He’s really cute with Tom Hardy in a very old-school interview. Proof.
6. On meeting fellow celebrities he said: “I have the same butterflies and inability to be cool. I approach them as a fellow member of the human race as the next person in their audience does. I’ve been doing this for 10 odd years, and so to meet people who thrilled me with their work for my entire life in such a concentrated manner as has happened over the last few years has been mind-blowing.”
7. Even when he’s drunk, he’s still a gent. Well, that’s according to Ed Sheeran who spent a night drinking with him.
8. His shower scene from Star Trek: Into Darkness was cut at the last minute (don’t worry, you can see it here).
9. While on location in South Africa in 2005, he experienced a terrible carjacking in which he was kidnapped, but talked his way into getting released. He subsequently wrote about the shocking moment in an article for The Prince’s Trust.
10. At school, he painted oil canvases in his downtime.
11. On relationships, he thinks a woman who is intelligent is sexy. “A woman who can make you feel smart with her conversation skills is also sexy. I believe the sense of humor is important.”
12. Like David Bowie, Cumberbatch has a condition called heterochromia, a mutation which means there’s a difference in coloration in his eyes. Specifically, the irises have a varying combination of blue, green, and gold.
13. He’s appeared on Sesame Street.
14. He can do a fantastic impression of Chewbacca.
15. He thinks his name sounds like a fart in a bath.
16. His favorite director is Stanley Kubrick.
17. During the school nativity play, in which he played Joseph, he pushed Mary off the stage for hogging the limelight.
18. He served as the officiant of the marriage of his friends Seth Cummings and Rob Rinder.
19. He called Downton Abbey ‘sentimental’, ‘cliched’ and ‘f***ing atrocious’. Awkward considering Julian Fellowes is a family friend.
20. He lives in Hampstead, North London.
21. But on the subject of stalking, a disgruntled/star-struck neighbour began tweeting all about the stars movements, much to the horror of the actor. He said: “I worked out after a while who it was who was doing it so, when it came to it, I didn’t actually call in the police, but I was prepared to do so.”
22. He’s engaged to be married to theatre director and actress Sophie Hunter.
23. He agreed to sign up for Star Trek Into Darkness before he’d even been told who he’d be playing and discovered his role a week after he’d been cast.
24. He thinks he is weird-looking. In an interview he joked: “If you put me in a room with Brad and George and all of them, you do kind of go, ‘Lovely, yes. Handsome, yes. Oh, strange-looking guy.'”
25. He has a Master’s degree in “Classical Acting for the Professional Theatre” from the oldest drama school in the United Kingdom, the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art.
26. One of Cumberbatch’s first ever serious acting roles came when he was just 13. He played Titania, Queen of the Fairies in A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
27. Cumberbatch is, somewhat surprisingly, a fan of extreme sports. In his spare time, he’s taken part in skydiving, hot-air ballooning, skiing, high-speed motorcycling and scuba diving.
28. A day before the filming of The Fifth Estate, Julian Assange emailed to ask him not to participate in it.
29. The actor took a gap year at a Tibetan monastery, where he taught English to the resident monks.
30. Cumberbatch lost significant amount of weight for his role as Sherlock Holmes to give the impression that Holmes high intelligence outweighs his physical limitations.
31. Both of his parents made cameo appearances in Sherlock where they played Holmes’ parents in a scene in Baker Street.
32. He thinks his own name sounds like “a fart in a bath” and his mother wasn’t keen on keeping it. One day he told someone his real name and they said it’s great and it’s something Cumberbatch can use to stand out.
33. After Cumberbatch landed the role of Sherlock, as part of his preparation, he then read every original Arthur Conan Doyle story.
34. His most embarrassing moment was when he was six and got stung by a wasp in a greek market. A widow pulled down his pants, held him upside down and rubbed an onion on his bum.
35. Benedict’s dad read him The Hobbit as a bed-time story when he was a child.
36. Cumberbatch is an ambassador for The Prince’s Trust and the Motor Neurone Disease Association. He has donated artworks for charities and fundraisers including the Willow Foundation, and Thomas Coram Foundation for Children
37. Cumberbatch has a condition called heterochromia which means that he has different coloured eyes. Each of his irises has a different combination of blue, gold and green.
38. In China, Benedict and Martin Freeman are known as “Curly Fu” and “Peanut” respectively.
39. Una Stubbs a.k.a. Mrs Hudson is a friend of his mother’s, and has known Cumberbatch since he was a boy.
40. His first trip to Los Angeles was for the Oscars, where he went to a party at Madonna’s house and met a rather famous footballer David Beckham at the bar.
41. He was ranked the fifth ‘Most Fascinating Person in Britain’ in Tatler magazine in January 2013.
42. His Star Trek: Into the Darkness audition was shot in a friend’s kitchen on an iPhone.
43. He lives by the rule, “Nothing is impossible. The word itself says, ‘I’m possible’.”
44. Steven Spielberg has called him “the best Sherlock on screen”.
45. He once stepped out of his home holding up a sign to them reading: “Go photograph Egypt and show the world something important”.
46. He once said he looks like Sid the Sloth from Ice Age.
47. He learned how to play the violin in a week.
MORE TO COME